Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Converting Flat Stitch Patterns for Round Knitting


This is just a little tutorial I put together to help you out if you would like to knit something in the round, but aren't sure how to get the stitch pattern to work out.  I will be perfectly honest - this is not an easy thing for me!  It does take me a little while before I "get it" with some stitch patterns.  So, you are not alone if you aren't able to convert stitch patterns easily.  I do get a thrill when I finally figure out some of the trickier ones, which is what makes me keep trying different patterns.  Practice makes perfect - so don't get discouraged if something doesn't work out the first time.  Keep trying!

Of course I did not come up with this information on my own.  This all can be found in Barbara Walker's Second Treasury of Knitting, as well as various other places on the web.  Also, Margaret Radcliffe has a new book due out in just a few short weeks, called Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round.  I pre-ordered this back in December and have been so anxious to get it, I keep checking to see if maybe it will be released sooner!  This book is supposed to have information on converting stitch patterns for knitting in the round, which is the reason I want it.

Below are instructions along with a few stitches for you to try out to get your needles going if you have never converted flat to round knitting.  You can print this tutorial out so you can have it in your hands - which I find is a lot easier than having to constantly looking at the computer.  There is also a free hat pattern using Star Stitch for you to print out too.  Last but not least, there is a video briefly going over the tutorial and I will show you the stitches given in the tutorial.

I hope this tutorial is helpful, and that you like the hat pattern.  Happy Knitting and Enjoy!

Converting Flat Stitch Patterns for Knitting in the Round






11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this! I've always wondered what stitch patterns meant by...multiple of ? sts + ?. Now that you've explained it, I feel silly for not figuring it out sooner. You've made it really easy to understand and the sample pattern conversions are great! There are a few flat patterns I would love to try this with! Thanks again...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering... Some patterns indicate right/wrong sides... And some don't. If the pattern doesn't indicate that there is a right/wrong side of the work, does that mean the work is reversible and I don't have to reverse and backwards any rows? I just can just work it outright, still eliminating the extra border stitches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a pattern doesn't indicate a right or wrong side, that doesn't necessarily make it reversible. To me, being reversible is in the eye of the knitter. I find a lot of "wrong" sides of fabric just as nice as the "right" side, and don't mind which side is visible. But, even truly reversible stitches - like garter, 2x2 ribbing, etc., where they look exactly the same on either side of the fabric, will still need to be worked differently on every other round. For example, when you work garter stitch flat, you knit every row. In the round, if you knit every round, you will get stockinette stitch. So to get garter stitch in the round, you must knit a round (the right side), then purl a round (the wrong side). Stockinette stitch flat is knit a row (the right side) and purl a row (the wrong side). For stockinette in the round, you just knit every round. That is why a lot of knitters who hate to purl love knitting in the round for stockinette because it is just knitting forever until you are done. Hope this helps. If you are like me and need to see the process before it makes sense, try garter stitch or stockinette in the round, and you will see that you must do the opposite of you would do when knitting flat for the "wrong" sides.

      Delete
    2. Totally makes sense now :) Thank you. I'm gonna experiment with some stitches right now :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh I taught myself to knit very young and could not understand a pattern for the life of me. Well here I am going on 62 got my first computer at 52 and for the first time "Thanks to You" I am learning so many new stitches,you are such a blessing. Thank you so very much for all you have taught me. I love knitting even more now. If Hugs could fly I am sending you loads of them. Yes still more to learn from you. Once again I thank you.
    Always Juliet {Yes this is my real name}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliet, you are sooo cute and I am proud of you for searching for patterns on the computer at 62 :)
      God Bless

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have said that in order to change flat stitch patterns to in the round knitting you have to both do the opposite and delete edge stitches, this being the case, how would I join in the round whilst keeping the stitches in pattern in the round?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you please send me your reply to the above question to my email address at: junebrown4@live.co.uk
    Many Thanks.
    June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing, really guessing, that maybe just make sure you use a stitch marker so you know where the row starts.

      Delete
  7. ok, I might as well ask. If you don't ask, you'll never know. Can you note how to do a "twisted stockinette" in the round???? I could never figure this out..... thank you!

    ReplyDelete